Victoria Machinery Depot (VMD) was originally known as Albion Iron Works, which opened for business in about 1882 as an engine & boiler builder. The name was changed to VMD in 1900. VMD did not assign hull numbers until WWII when they started at #14, this apparently took account of the 13 ships that they had previously built. The original yard was in the Inner Harbour, but during WWI, VMD operated a yard on the Songhees Indian reservation, using the name Harbour Marine Company, and during WWII it operated a yard at Ogden Point, to build Fort and Park vessels. They continued at that location after the war. When the company stopped building ships, in 1967, it sold the Ogden Point yard to the Canadian Coast Guard and continued at the Inner Harbour site as an industrial fabricator until the mid 1990s.