Ameila and Olympia at the Turner Beeton wharf on the 1890's

Ameila and Olympia at the Turner Beeton wharf on the 1890’s
BC Archives D-09332

Turner Beeton's Wharf Street building nicknamed

Turner Beeton’s Wharf Street building nicknamed “London House”
BC Archives D-09332

In 1864 John Herbert Turner established J. H. Turner and Company, an importing and millinery business in an imposing building known as London House, on Wharf Street. The venture soon became a success. In 1871, with two London-based men, John Partridge Tunstall, who had been his agent in that city, and Henry Coppinger Beeton, he formed the partnership Turner, Beeton, and Tunstall. When Tunstall left the business in 1878, it became Turner, Beeton and Company

By 1883 the business branched out while the salmon canning industry was in its infancy. The company owned the most important cannery of its time, the Inverness Cannery on the Skeena River. Page 94, The Princess Story, Norman R. Hacking and W. Kaye Lamb, Mitchell Press, 1974.