The Victoria Yacht Club
The original Victoria Yacht Club clubhouse was a floating structure pictured right centre in the photograph.
was founded in 1892 by a group of 46 yachtsmen. The clubhouse floated on pontoons in the Inner Harbour. In 1911 King George V granted the club patronage llowing the club to change its name to Royal Victoria Yacht Club. It is the oldest sailing association in Western Canada.
In July, 1913 the club moved its clubhouse from the Inner Harbour from an older clubhouse that was in the Inner Harbour to the shores of Caboro Bay in the nearby community of Oak Bay. By moving out of the crowded harbour the club members could enjoy sailing with less concern for traffic.