Point Hope is the site one of Victoria’s oldest businesses
(1843-1926) was born to Irish immigrants to Nova Scotia John Campbell and Mary Turpel
In 1888 Turpel purchased the Colling and Cook’s Ways established on Victoria’s Upper Harbour in 1873. The yard was located on a Point Hope, land that created a deep, sheltered bay on harbour’s west shore. It was perfect for ship-building. He renamed the enterprise Clark and Turpel’s Shipyard. Through the next 40 years the yard went through several name changes though Turpel, and later his sons Samuel and Emmerson retained ownership. Turpel added a two cradle marine railway in 1894 to allow the yard to work on two vessels at a time
A century and a half later, the Point Hope Maritime
remains an important harbour enterprise.