Work Point Barracks centre back behind gate house pillars
Work Point was the location of the first Canadian Army base on the Pacific Coast. It was established in 1887 to house “C” Battery of the Royal Canadian Artillery who had arrived from Quebec by train to instruct local militia in gunnery. They had to clear the forest and build their own barracks.
The Work Point Barracks (designated 1004 in the Canadian Historical Places record) are a utilitarian British military structure consisting of a one-storey, rectangular wood frame building with a hipped roof, wood shiplap cladding on a rubble and concrete foundation. It was the first of first three structures built at Work Point. It is located opposite the guardhouse at the end of the main entrance, at Work Point Barracks, CFB Esquimalt.
In 1968, as part of the integration of the Canadian Forces, Work Point was incorporated into CFB Esquimalt. Work Point now houses Naval Officer Training Centre Venture (recently relocated from Naden) as well as housing and recreation facilities for military personnel.