The diesel ferryMotor Princess was designed by Capt. James Troup as the first purpose built auto ferry in the Princess Fleet. She was built by Yarrows in 97 days and launched at Esquimalt, making her first trip between Sidney and Bellingham in late May. Motor Princess was a wooden vessel with dimensions of 165 x 43.5 x 9 was driven by a 1,050 hp McIntosh & Seymour diesel engine giving her a service speed of 14 knots. She had a capacity of 240 passengers and 40 automobiles and a speed of 9 knots. She later served between Sidney and Steveston until her retirement in 1950, was rebuilt at Victoria in 1952 as a freighter for nightly service between Vancouver and Victoria.