The Canadian Pacific Railway
Accreditation: Evergreen Fleet
added the steel, singlescrew, single-stack passenger steamer Princess Adelaide
to its coastal fleet in 1910. The vessel arrived from the Fairfield yard at Govan (Glasgow) early in December in charge of Capt. A. A. Lingren, with R. Esdale, chief officer, H. A. Moore, second officer, J. Cockton, third officer, and Thomas Moffatt, chief engineer.
She and her sister ship, Princess Alice, which arrived the following year, were designed for economy of operation with reasonable speed, and Princess Adelaide performed admirably on her outward voyage, averaging 11.5 knots on 24 tons of coal a day, using only two of her four boilers. During her trials she achieved a maximum speed of 18 1/2 knots. Of 3,061 tons, her dimensions were 290.5 x 46.1 x 15, driven by a four-cylinder triple expansion engine 27, 42, 48, 48 x 39. She was finished throughout in natural woods, having a large dining salon seating 150, as well as grill, and a cafe accommodating another 100. Her staterooms numbered 118, all fitted with hot and cold running water, portable heaters, electric reading lamps and plate glass windows.
The Princess Adelaide, having arrived in the Northwest late the 1910, had the misfortune to go ashore at Appletree Cove on Puget Sound during a blinding snow storm on her maiden voyage in passenger service on January 31, 1911, while en route from Victoria and Vancouver for Seattle, but she suffered no damage so continued in service.