Princess Elaine, built by John Brown & Co. Ltd. Clydebank, Scotland, became the third of the handsome three-stacked liners, joining Princess Kathleen and Princess Marguerite in 1928. She entered on the Nanaimo-Vancouver service early in May of that year. She was a triple-screw turbine steamer of 2,027 tons, with dimensions of 291.4 x 48. 1 x 13.4. Her 4,600-horsepower turbines drove her at a service speed of 19 1/2 knots. She was equipped to handle 60 automobiles in ferry service, had accommodations for 1,200 day passengers and was fitted with six staterooms. The Princess Elaine made two round trips daily with a running time of two hours and 15 minutes each day. She was initially commanded by Capt. R. N. Stuart, V. C.