Accreditation: Evergreen Fleet
The Canadian Pacific Railway, already operating the fastest and handsomest ocean steamships in service from the Northwest, introduced a new standard of speed and elegance to Puget Sound with the arrival of the splendid three-funnel steel steamship Princess Victoria from the yards of Swan & Hunter, Newcastle. A twin-screw steamer of 1,943 tons, 300 x 40.5 x 15.4, her triple expansion engines of 6,000 horsepower gave her a top speed of 20 knots. She had accommodations for 1,000 day passengers and 152 overnight passengers in 76 staterooms. After coming out from England under her own power Princess Victoria joined the Princess Beatrice on the international triangle run between Seattle, Victoria and Vancouver, commanded by Capt. George Rudlin, and later by Captain Pat Hickey.
Drawing courtesy of Robert D. Turner
In 1930 Princess Victoria was entirely rebuilt and widened 18 feet at Yarrows in Esquimalt to handle 60 automobiles. The old Princess Vic as she was affectionately known on both sides of the international line, had lost little of her noted speed was indicated by her performance of 19 knots on trials following her rebuilding.