A view of the James Bay bridge with James Bay to the right.
n 1900 a wooden bridge was constructed across the James Bay tidal flats. For three years the bridge connected the James Bay neighbourhood with downtown Victoria. The bridge was replaced with a stone causeway in 1903. The Causeway was the first phase of filling in James Bay’s tidal mud flats and the Empress Hotel to be constructed in 1908 by the Canadian Pacific Railway.