Rock Bay was originally much larger than it is today, with many islets, for which the bay was named. In the mid-1880’s, as Victoria grew northwards, a bridge was constructed to span the eastern section of Rock Bay. The bridge linked Government Street to the bay’s north shore. As activity increased a second wooden bridge known as the Rock Bay Bridge was constructed in 1887 to carry pedestrians, automobiles and streetcars. Originally, this bridge connected Bridge Street and Constance Street. Around 1903, the bridge’s southern approach was switched to Store Street. During the 1920s the Rock Bay Bridge was dismantled and the eastern indent of Rock Bay was filled to the west side of Government Street.
The Rock Bay Bridge decorated for the 1876 Governor-General’s visit to Victoria. photo courtesy of Hallmark Society Archives